A is for Apples and a Glazed Apple Cake
Variety of Apples as the Autumn Treat This cake is melt in your mouth goodness that really tastes like fall. The pairing of apples and walnuts is classic. The other thing that is unique about this cake is...
This cake is melt in your mouth goodness that really tastes like fall. The pairing of apples and walnuts is classic. The other thing that is unique about this cake is that you can mix this in a large bowl by hand, over using the conventional mixer. This simplicity just adds to this recipes charm. This was a crowd pleaser at our Apples to Apples Cooking Class.
Apple Cake with Caramel Glaze
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 medium Granny Smith apples - peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
** Options to add:
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup Raisins or Craisins to the batter
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 2 teaspoons milk
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 inch Bundt pan.
- In a large bowl, beat the sugar, oil, vanilla and eggs with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; stir into the batter just until blended. Fold in the apples and walnuts using a spoon. Pour into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes in the preheated oven, until a toothpick inserted into the crown or the cake comes out clean. Allow to cool for about 10 minutes then invert on to a wire rack. Best if you poke holes to allow the glaze to enter the cake. Serving this slightly warm is rather heavenly!
- Make the simple glaze by heating the butter, milk and brown sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar, then remove from the heat. Drizzle over the warm cake. I like to place a sheet of aluminum foil under the cooling rack to catch the drips for easy clean up.
Be prepared to add this recipe to your box of favorites!