Indian Cuisine: Chicken Tikka Masala
Chicken Tikka Masala Indian Cuisine consists of many different types of dishes ranging in spiciness. There are plenty of options for main dishes as well as fun and interesting ways to prepare side dishes. This Chicken Tikka Masala recipe is a fun...
Indian Cuisine consists of many different types of dishes ranging in spiciness. There are plenty of options for main dishes as well as fun and interesting ways to prepare side dishes.
This Chicken Tikka Masala recipe is a fun and tasty dish that works well when served with rice or bread. However, keep in mind that this particular recipe takes an estimated 2.5 hours before its ready! It is well worth the time, you just need to make sure you plan ahead.
Also, do not be discouraged by the size of the ingredient list. The number of ingredients doesn't necessarily correlate to the difficulty of the dish. Many of these ingredients are commonly found in your kitchen and are staples in most grocery stores.
The ingredient lists are divided into two separate ones. There are ingredients specific to the marinade for the chicken and ingredients just for the sauce to complete the recipe.
Ingredients for the chicken marinade:
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon of each of the following: lemon juice, ground cinnamon, and minced ginger
- 2 teaspoons each: ground cumin, cayenne pepper, and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 teaspoons salt (adjust according to your preference)
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, chopped into bite-size chunks
- 4 long skewers
Ingredients for the sauce:
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 1 clove of minced garlic
- 1 chopped jalapeno pepper (Tip: the more finely it's chopped, the better!)
- 2 teaspoons of ground cumin and paprika
- 3 teaspoons salt (adjust according to personal preference)
- 1 (8 ounce) can of tomato sauce
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- In a mixing bowl add the yogurt, lemon juice, 2 teaspoons cumin, cinnamon, cayenne, black pepper, ginger, and 4 teaspoons salt. Remember that you can adjust the quantity of salt based on dietary restrictions or your preferences.
- Next add in the chicken. Then cover the bowl and chill in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Then preheat a grill on a high heat.
- Be sure to lightly oil the grill grate, this prevents sticking.
- Thread the chicken pieces onto skewers. You can throw out the marinade.
- Grill until juices run clear or approximately 5 minutes on each side.
- Next melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- You need to sauté the garlic and jalapeno for about 1 minute.
- Then season with the 2 teaspoons cumin, paprika, and 3 teaspoons salt. (Again, don't forget you can adjust the quantity of salt to suit your needs).
- Next, stir in the tomato sauce and cream.
- Simmer on a low heat until sauce thickens. This should take about 20 minutes.
- Add in grilled chicken and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro after placing the dish on a serving platter.
Tips and Tricks:
- You should allow yourself approximately 30 minutes of prep time. It may take longer your first time.
- Much of the initial 2.5 hour cook time is the 1 hour minimum required for the marinade. The longer the chicken marinades, the stronger the flavor.
- This dish works really well with rice; however, as written there may not be enough sauce to saturate the rice. You may wish to make extra sauce.
Please contact us for more ideas on how to use Indian cuisine in your meals. We have lots of tips and delicious recipes to try.