Make A New Christmas Tradition With Duck And Port-Cherry Sauce!
Roasted Duck Tired of the same old turkey and ham combination? Looking to spice things up this holiday season? Why not start with your Christmas sauce? Instead of making your primary meat a traditional turkey, change it up with some...
Tired of the same old turkey and ham combination? Looking to spice things up this holiday season? Why not start with your Christmas sauce? Instead of making your primary meat a traditional turkey, change it up with some roasted duck and a port-cherry sauce on top!
This recipe takes about 3 hours and serves 4 people.
Serves about 4 people
- 1 5-pound duck, fresh or frozen, thawed (Keep neck, gizzard, and innards)
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 3 whole garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2-3 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 medium yellow onion, quartered
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 5 whole garlic cloves chopped
- 1 cup ruby Port
- 1 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cherry jam
- 1 can chicken stock
Instructions for sauce:
- Remove neck, innards, and gizzard of the duck and combine in a medium to large saucepan on medium heat.
- Add quartered onion, carrots and celery. Add 3 cups water and 1 can of chicken stock.
- Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour.
- Strain stock another sauce pan and boil until reduced to about 1 cup.
- In another skillet melt 1 tablespoon of unsalted butter over medium heat. Add garlic cloves and sauté until golden-brown, about 3 minutes. Add 1 tablespoon of soy sauce and ruby Port and boil for about 5 minutes.
- Gradually add the reduced stock and boil until reduced to about 1 cup.
- Mix remaining 1 tablespoon butter and 1 tablespoon of flour in bowl.
- Whisk into new sauce with cherry jam and simmer until thickened. Season with Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper. Serve warm. (Can be chilled and stored)
Instructions for duck:
Preheat oven to 420°F.
- Use a fork to pierce duck skin for the juices.
- Place the duck, breast up, on a rack in roasting pan. Brush 1 cup soy sauce over duck skin. Sprinkle salt and pepper over the skin.
- Place whole garlic cloves and thyme into duck cavity.
- Cut the lemon in half. Take 1/2 of the lemon wedge and squeeze lemon juice over the duck skin and place the other wedge inside the cavity.
- Roast duck for about 45 minutes. Turn the duck over and roast breast side down for 35 more minutes. Turn duck and roast, breast side up again, until duck is a golden brown color and cooked through, about 20 minutes longer.
- Transfer duck to serving platter.
- Serve with port-cherry sauce and enjoy your new Christmas tradition!
We hope you enjoy this recipe and feel free to contact us for more yummy ideas!