Skip the Carbohydrates with a Portobello Mushroom Pizza Crust
Whether you're on a mission to eat healthier or you simply want to experiment with a new and fun recipe, the Portobello mushroom is a great ingredient to start with. Due to its large size and reputation as a...
Whether you're on a mission to eat healthier or you simply want to experiment with a new and fun recipe, the Portobello mushroom is a great ingredient to start with. Due to its large size and reputation as a hardy food, the Portobello is often used as a substitute for meat. While adding the mushroom to pastas, salads and soups is a common occurrence, it can also act as a scrumptious and imaginative pizza crust. To help you create your own Portobello mushroom pizza we've provided an easy to follow recipe below.
Portobello Mushroom Pizza
Recipe adapted from life as a strawberry
- 4 Portobello Mushrooms, gills and stems removed
- 3 Tbsp. Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 2 cups shredded Mozzarella cheese
- 10-12 grape tomatoes, halved
- Fresh Basil, roughly chopped
- 10-12 Olives, sliced (optional)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- To begin, you'll need to clean your 4 Portobello mushrooms. Using a damp paper towel or a mushroom brush, wipe off the surface of the mushroom to remove any leftover soil.
- Next, you'll need to remove the mushroom's stem by grasping it and carefully snapping it off.
- Once that's done, it'll be time to hollow out the inside of the Portobello. With a teaspoon, gently scrap out the gills from the mushroom cap. It's best to work from the center to the edge while being extra cautious not to damage the mushroom.
- Brush the Portobello caps with olive oil and place them face up on a tin foil lined baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Fill the inside of the mushrooms with marinara sauce and top with shredded mozzarella, sliced tomatoes, olives and basil.
- Bake in oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until cheese has melted. Once your tasty Portobello mushroom has finished baking, take it out of the oven and allow it to cool before enjoying your meal.
As a tip: these mushrooms will look amazing when served in the cute cast iron Lodge mini oval servers. The cast iron can be warmed to keep your appetizer warmer longer.
Feel free to experiment with the filling for the mushrooms. Basically anything in the mushroom will taste great with cheese on it! You can turn this into a quick and tasty appetizer for holidays as well. If you're looking for healthy and fun meals to expand your family's dinner menu, please contact us today to browse through our recipe options.